No other breakfast item evokes such approval from my children as pancakes. I instantly become, “the best Mom ever”. They are also a great way to use up those over ripe bananas in the fruit basket. Buttermilk is a staple that I try to keep on hand, but If you don’t have any, yogurt can work, just thin it with a little milk if it is really thick. These are a hearty, healthy breakfast pancake that is pretty high up there on the, “hold you until lunch”, scale. Straight forward to put together too.
Have your mise en place ready
serves 6-8 Makes, 18 medium cakes
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup ground raw almonds
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups Buttermilk
4 Tablespoons melted butter
2 Tablespoons rice bran oil
3 bananas, mashed (3 small, or 2 large)
2 large eggs
1. Have your griddle on med low, and lightly greased. To check whether your griddle is just right for your cakes, sprinkle a few drops of water on the surface, and; if it evaporates in a quick burst of vapor, it is too hot. If the water sits stationary for a few seconds, and eventually dissipates, it is too cool. If the water dances around and hisses for a second or two, it is just right.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
3. in a medium bowl mix your wet ingredients together, and have at room temperature, if possible, but not necessary.
4. Add the wet to the dry, and quickly and briskly, mix until combined.
5. scoop 1/2 cup portions on to the griddle, and cook until the first bubbles appear, then flip. Flip once more, and serve onto warmed plates.