Fresh Fruit Tart
This visually impressive Tart can be broken down into three steps, Pastry, pastry cream and fruit, all of which can be prepared ahead of time for make ahead compiling. As long as the compiling, and the eating happen on the same day, the Tart is a perfect Spring and Summer delight, when soft luscious fruits are in season.
I am especially fond of this pastry dough, because there is now rolling out necessary. I created it just for this reason. If I have to roll out or cut in, I just don’t want to do it. This way, it is like playing with play dough.
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/3 cup confectioners sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 egg yolk pinch of salt
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
1. In a medium bowl, cream together with a fork the butter, sugar pinch of salt, and lemon zest. Add egg yolk, then flour. Mix together with a fork until well blended
2. Press the dough into a ball, and rest for 15 minutes in the refrigerator. Press dough into the bottom, and up the sides of a removable bottomed tart pan.
3. score (poke with the tines of a fork), and dry bake (bake with out filling) in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the top is lightly browned push down any air pockets that try to lift. Remove to rack to cool.
1 cup heavy cream
8oz. cream cheese ( room temp)
1 cup whole milk
2 teaspoons bourbon vanilla
1/3 cup sugar
3 large eggs, room temp
1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Bring the heavy cream and milk to warm over medium low heat.
2. In a medium glass bowl, whiz the cream cheese, eggs sugar and salt, with a hand held emulsifier.
3. Add the warmed cream mixture to the sauce pan. On very low heat, bring to a heated temperature, while stirring constantly, until lines, or wakes form in the texture. Immediately remove from heat, and pour into glass bowl to cool. lay a piece of wax paper over top to prevent a skim from forming. Cool. Mixture will thicken as it cools.
choose fresh fruit that is ripe in season
apricot jam, warmed
1. Place finished dough on to pedestal serving dish.
2. top with enough pastry cream to give 1/4 -1/2 inch cream layer.
3. apply fruit in spiral pattern, use your imagination, be creative!
Warm jam ant apply a thin glaze of jam over entire surface. This gives a real professional pop effect.
The Tart should be refrigerated at this point until you are going to serve. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes prior to serving.